FAQ – Frequently asked questions about hiking shoes
What are the best hiking shoes?
Having the right footwear is essential for your hiking enjoyment and comfort. Leave your trainers at home and choose good hiking shoes that provide the right support, cushioning, grip and stability. Answer the following four questions to help you find the right pair:
- What are you going to do: short walks in the woods or several days in the mountains?
- What type of footwear do you need: a light shoe or something more sturdy?
- What is important: weight, waterproof, breathable?
- What fit do you need: do you have wide or narrow feet?
How long do hiking shoes last?
How quickly your shoes wear out depends on more factors than just how many miles you walk together. You sometimes hear that hiking shoes can last up to 1000 miles. But you need to take the following into account:
- Your weight: if you yourself are on the heavier side or you’re carrying a heavy pack, then your shoes will wear out faster.
- Conditions: rain and mud will shorten your footwear’s life span.
- Your gait: the way you place down and pick up your feet determines whether your shoes’ soles will wear down at an angle. If that happens, you’ll need to replace your footwear more quickly.
- Maintenance: the better you look after your footwear, the longer it will last.
- Quality: it goes without saying that better quality footwear will last longer than poorer quality footwear. At A.S.Adventure, we can guarantee the quality of every pair we sell!
What size for hiking shoes?
There’s an art to trying on hiking shoes! Our tips will help you find the right pair:
- Try shoes on in the afternoon – when your feet will be a bit more swollen than in the morning – to make sure you don’t buy them too small.
- There should be about a 1.5 cm gap between your longest toe and the end of the sole.
- Your heel should not rise up when you bend your knees.
Choose from our many top brands
At A.S.Adventure you will find an extensive range of hiking boots for women, men and children. Choose from our many top brands - like Jack Wolfskin, The North Face, Merrell, Lowa, Meindl - and find the perfect pair of shoes for any outdoor activity
Do you still have questions about the purchase of your walking boots? Our customer service is at your disposal every day.